Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Second Mouse Gets the Cheese

Across the Fence #247

Dear Mickey,

You don’t know me, but you’re the only mouse I know, so I decided to write and warn you. I’ve known about you for most of my sixty-five years. As a matter of fact we must be about the same age. Since we’ve both managed to survive all these years, perhaps this warning is not for us. However, in this fast-paced world it’s a good idea to remember how we got this far.

As you and Minnie are well aware, there are many dangers awaiting an unsuspecting mouse. One that comes to mind is the cat. However, a mouse can always be alert to one’s surroundings and head for cover at the first sign of a cat.

The mousetrap is another story. It’s a wicked, deadly trap, and any mouse who ventures near is almost certain to meet one’s maker… in your case, Walt Disney. Walt must have taught you some good lessons for you to be a survivor after all these years.

Now, back to that mousetrap. I was sitting around one day and thinking, which you may find hard to believe. Actually, I was trying to come up with story ideas. I was rummaging through our garage when I came across an old mousetrap I’d used when we had mice in our house in Madison.

No offense Mickey, but our house is not a good place for you to live. I know you need a home too, but I’d prefer you stay in the garage. I’m not saying I took the lives of any of your kin, but I certainly put a good scare into them.

As I said, I got to thinking about the trap and an old saying came to mind, “The second mouse gets the cheese.” How true, I thought. The first curious mouse ventures up to the trap, smells the cheese, and is overcome with the desire to taste that cheese. He disregards the ominous looking contraption that holds it and decides to grab the cheese and run. SNAP! Mouse Heaven has another occupant.

SNAP! In an instant, life can change or end, because of some foolhardy event. Meanwhile, the second mouse, that was more cautious and decided not to rush in and grab the cheese, now approaches the sprung trap. The cheese was knocked free of the trap when it was sprung. The second mouse picks it up and scurries home to enjoy a meal. The second mouse got the cheese.

Now Mickey, I’m glad to see you’re still around. It shows that you’ve exercised some caution and managed to survive in spite of obstacles and dangers along the way.

I was reminded of this scenario one day as I was driving down Midvale Boulevard in Madison. As usual, the traffic was heavy and many people were impatient with the speed we were traveling. A young girl in a red sports car was tailgating me. I could see in the rear-view mirror that she was irritated with my speed. As soon as a small hole opened, she shot around me and headed down the street, zipping back and forth in traffic. I knew from experience, that by the time we got to the stoplights at Hilldale, she’d have gained only a few car lengths on me. How many times have people been in a hurry to pass, taken chances, and endangered their own lives, and the lives of others, only to gain a few feet by the time they reach their destination. In this case, the young woman roared over a small hill, and there sat a sting operation waiting with their radar guns. SNAP! The trap was sprung. A police car whipped out from a side street with its red lights flashing. She was pulling over to the side of the road as I drove by. I’d be at my destination long before she reached hers. Plus, she’d be minus a good chunk of change for speeding in a school zone. She was lucky. She could have hit a child crossing the street and found herself in very serious trouble. She sprung the trap and I continued safely on my appointed rounds. The second mouse got the cheese.

Another time, we drove back from Milwaukee in a snowstorm. Most of the traffic was proceeding slowly because of the hazardous driving conditions. Then a car sped by us in the fast lane. They were in a hurry. SNAP! We watched as they spun out and slid into the ditch. They were lucky, the car didn’t roll or hit anything and the occupants were unhurt. Everyone else continued on, while they got out of their car and pondered their predicament. The second mouse gets the cheese. I’m sure we were home by the time a wrecker pulled them out of the ditch.

Those are just two examples of the risks people take and the lack of judgment they exhibit in this fast-paced society we live in. Grab the cheese and run. SNAP! Eventually a trap may spring that could change your whole world.

So Mickey, this is just a reminder. If you’re tempted to take unnecessary risks, or get in a hurry, stop for a second and examine the possible consequences of your actions. Be careful Mickey. I don’t want that SNAP to come smashing down on you. Always remember, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Best wishes,
Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment