Sunday, December 13, 2009

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Across the Fence #265

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we’ve no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Lyricist Sammy Cahn and composer Jule Styne created that wonderful Christmas song in 1945, when I was one year old. I was singing along with it last week in the car, as winter finally arrived after staying away through November. We usually have several inches of the white stuff on the ground by the time December arrives.

As usually happens with the first snowfall, people have forgotten how to drive on slippery, snow-covered roads. A car lost control ahead of me as I was approaching Sherpe Road, and slid into the ditch. If it had slid across the road, we’d probably have hit head on. It’s hard going from green grass and dry roads one minute, to snow-covered, slippery roads the next.

It snowed just enough to make driving and walking treacherous, but not enough to ski, sled, or snowshoe on. That could easily change by the time you read this. They’re predicting up to a foot of snow with high winds and blizzard conditions for tonight. I have two choices, I can complain about the weather as being a major Uff da, or I can sit back and sing along with the song, “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.” We live in the upper Midwest and it’s winter. That usually means snow and cold weather. I like the Norwegian philosophy, “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.”

We have to face the fact that snow and cold weather have arrived. It’s time to get out the long underwear, snow boots, heavy winter jackets, sweaters, scarves, stocking caps, earmuffs, and extra pairs of gloves and socks. Then if you can still move, you can venture outside and enjoy the new snow. Just don’t slip and fall down. With all those clothes on, you won’t get hurt, but you’ll be like Ralphie’s little brother, Randy, in “A Christmas Story” and you won’t be able to get back up.

I plan to try something new this winter. I’ve always wanted to snowshoe, so this year I bought a pair, when they were on sale of course. I love to cross country ski through woods and other quiet areas, but there are always places you can’t get with skis or there’s just too much snow. I figure you’re never too old to try something new. I suspect it will be quite a workout, but should give me access to some beautiful winter scenes.

I like venturing into areas where no one else has been. I call it “virgin snow,” when no human tracks or trails are found. I like looking for animal tracks in such areas and following them. You never know where they’ll lead or what you’ll find. Maybe I’ll even find some deer trails. I haven’t seen a deer around here for a long time. I personally think last year’s “earn a buck” hunting season depleted the doe population. That’s one less fawn for every doe killed. I’ll look for deer tracks and let you know what I find.

By the way, did you hear the report that Santa will have 18 reindeer pulling his sleigh this year? Opps, disregard what I said. I just found out that report came from the DNR. Hopefully Santa will still be able to find eight reindeer.

As long as we’re talking about tracks in the snow, how many of you remember playing Fox and Geese? At Smith School, we’d tromp down the snow to make a large circle. Then we made intersecting trails through the center of the circle. One person was the fox and everyone else was a goose. The fox started in the center where the trails crossed. This was the safe zone or hen house. The geese were on the outer circle. The fox would then chase the geese. They had to make it to the center hen house without being caught by the fox or going out of the trails. I think the last goose tagged became the fox. However, the rules are pretty fuzzy in my mind and we probably made many of them up as we went along.

I do know that we did a lot of running around the circle and other trails, but don’t remember much else. It was great exercise in the winter.

Making snow angels in new-fallen snow was another winter activity at school. I think it was mostly a girl thing. After all, they were the angels! The guys were busy behind the outhouse writing yellow messages in the new snow! I don’t think that qualifies us for angel wings. That’s all I’ll say about that.

As you can see, there are a variety of things you can do in the snow to make winters more bearable and enjoyable.

Whenever I think of snow and Christmas, I think of another song, “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas,” sung by Bing Crosby. It’s a classic and part of the Christmas season for me.

Now granted, I know I’ll be singing completely different tunes by the end of March, but for the moment, “Let it snow, let it snow let it snow!”

No comments:

Post a Comment