Saturday, July 9, 2011

Horse Liniment and Bug Repellents

Across the Fence #347

I recently wrote about the pesky bug problem everyone is having this summer. It sure helps to talk across the fence, because I’m now “almost” bug-free. I’ve heard from several people and finally found a solution to what was bugging me.

The first response came from Paul Seeling, publisher and editor of the papers in Woodville and Spring Valley, Wisconsin. After he received my Across the Fence column for the coming week, he suggested I import some of their wonderful Spring Valley bats, because they do a wonderful job of keeping pesky bugs away. I’m not real fond of bats and figure it would take a small army of them to control the bug infestation around us. Sorry Paul, but I think I’d rather have bugs flying around my head than bats.

The first message that provided an answer came from Marilyn Brandel, copy editor at the Fairfax Standard-Gazette in Minnesota. After receiving my column, she wrote me with a solution. “If you’re still looking for something to ward off those pesky gnats, try Absorbine Jr. At least in this part of Minnesota it seems to be working.” She also told me that supplies had sold out in most stores in the area. For me, that was a good indication that it was either working, or it was a good marketing campaign by Absorbine Jr. to sell a lot of their product. It was worth a try. I was desperate.

After the bug problem story was printed, I heard from several people, and they all had the same solution, Absorbine Jr. By that time, I knew it worked, because I had purchased a bottle after getting Marilyn’s advice. As I mentioned earlier, this sharing of stories and ideas across the fence helps find solutions to problems.

I’d heard of it, but wasn’t very familiar with the product. I thought it was a liniment used on horses. When I looked it up on the Internet, I found out it was developed back in 1892 and called Absorbine Veterinary Liniment. It was used for treating lame and overworked horses. Sometimes I feel a bit stiff, lame, and overworked, so maybe we were heading down the right path, even though I’m not a horse.

It said that farmers soon realized it also relieved their own muscle pains. Probably while rubbing it on their horses, it also provided relief for their aching, arthritic hands. If it worked on their hands they probably rubbed it on other aching joints, and found the aches and pains were helped. Maybe all that liniment rubbed on their horses and their own bodies, kept the bugs away too. It mentioned that it was used for fly control. A double relief!

After word reached the owner of the company that farmers were rubbing horse liniment on their own bodies for pain relief, the company developed Absorbine Jr. for humans. It’s a natural blend of botanical extracts that provides temporary relief of muscle aches, pains, strains, backache and arthritis. It also soothes hot, tired, itchy feet and has antiseptic qualities to help prevent infections. Over the years, Absorbine Jr. has become so popular that today it’s in more homes in the nation than any other liquid pain reliever.

It may be a pain reliever in more ways than the company thought. Those pesky bugs had become a real pain in the “you know what,” and I found relief after applying liberal amounts to an old, dirty hat. I was my usual skeptical self at first, because nothing else had worked. I decided to go out and do some yard work using a regular, non-smelly hat first, to see how bad the bugs were. They were all happy to see me, and quickly formed a cloud around my head. They were as pesky as ever. Now for the real test, I went in the garage and donned my Absorbine Jr. hat. I was ready to go out and meet the enemy, and see if it would work.

At first the little buggers surrounded me again, but they quickly left. Occasionally a bug would do a fly-by, get a whiff of my new perfume, and depart for better-smelling places. It worked! Since that time, I always apply a fresh supply on my hat before working outside. It is rather fragrant, but at least it keeps the bugs off and even masks the smell of the liquid manure that was just spread on the cut hay fields around our house.

I should mention that I haven’t noticed any mosquito bites lately either. I think it’s keeping them away too. So for everyone who’s felt like a prisoner in their home this summer because you can’t stand all the pesky flies and gnats that harass you when you go outside, get yourself a bottle of Absorbine Jr. and venture forth to meet the enemy. It worked for me and I hope it will work for you. Thanks to Marilyn, Nathan, Howard, and all the others who told me about it. You’ve made my summer and outdoor adventures much more enjoyable.

I may even try rubbing it on my arthritic hips and other joints and see if it helps those pains too. If it doesn’t help the pain, at least I know I’ll be bug-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment