Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life Is Full of Surprises

Across the Fence #352

You never know when someone from your past will suddenly enter your life again.

This past week, the National American Legion - Central Plains Region Baseball Tournament was held for four days in Viroqua, Wisconsin. Part of my responsibilities at Vernon Communications is supervising our community channels. We did live telecasts of all 14 games. That included a couple of 16-hour days when it was hot and humid. It seems like we’ve had that same kind of weather for many weeks now.

Our television control booth was located upstairs in the press box at the ball field. The tin roof added to the accumulated heat. To say we were perspiring is a bit of an understatement. I was sweating. Perhaps this is more information than you need, but one day I went through a large coffee in the morning to start the day. I have Norwegian blood, you know, and it’s never too hot for coffee. I also downed two bottles of water, two large Gatorades, and a large bottle of iced tea, and never had to go to the bathroom during the day. That shows how important it is to keep drinking fluids on a hot day to stay hydrated.

The televised games were also streamed over the Internet on Ustream, where people all over the country could watch the games. We even had an e-mail from someone watching in Hawaii. People in Pahrump, Nevada, were watching the games on a large screen at a local store. They were thrilled to be able to watch their sons, grandsons, and friends play in a national tournament. For three days, food arrived at noon for everyone in the press box, compliments of the fans in Nevada who were able to watch the games. It made all the work and long hours seem worth the effort when we heard from appreciative people all over the country.

But the highlight of the games occurred for me on the first day. After the introduction of players before each game, a veteran was introduced and read the Athlete’s Code of Sportsmanship. These are all American Legion sponsored teams. I had been asked to read the code at the third game of the tournament, between Richland Center, Wisconsin and Eden Valley-Watkins, Minnesota. In the introduction, Pete Swanson, the tournament director, announced who you were, when you were in service, where you served, and what unit you served in.

When 4th Infantry and Vietnam were mentioned, I heard someone in the stands, shout, “4th Infantry!” As I came off the field, a man was there to meet me. He smiled at me and said, “Do you remember me?” I looked at him, but had no clue, and had to admit it. “Herb Willner,” he said. “Holy s…” were the first words out of my mouth. It had been 44 years since we had seen each other and that was in Vietnam.

Herb was drafted out of Minnesota the same time that I was drafted. We were sworn in together in Minneapolis, went through the reception station at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri together, and were in the same basic training company in Fort Lewis, Washington. We then went to Vietnam together with the 4th Infantry Division. And now, 44 years later, we met up again in the most unlikely place. If I hadn’t read the code at the game that Eden Valley-Watkins was playing in, we’d never have connected. Herb’s grandson was a pitcher on the team, and Herb’s whole family was at the tournament.

Needless to say, neither of us looks like the lean, mean, fighting machine we were 44 years ago. When we went to Vietnam we both weighed around 175 pounds. I was 135 pounds when I came home a year later. Herb also came home a lot lighter. We both weigh a “bit” more these days! Is it any wonder that he didn’t recognize me either, until my name and unit were announced?

During the four-day tournament, we were able to reconnect as we visited between games. I’ve said it before, the phrase “Band of Brothers,” is so true when describing those of us who shared the experience of war. There’s a special bond that can’t be broken. It’s a shame that most of us never kept in contact after we came home. I guess we just wanted to put the whole experience behind us and try to forget about it.

Now after all these years, as several of us have reconnected, we find that a strong bond of friendship is still there. I called Larry Skolos, who lives near Viroqua, and he came to the ballpark to reconnect with Herb too. We’re just “three old vets” who, once upon a time, spent two “interesting years” together, sharing a common experience.

I have to admit that I was pulling for Eden Valley-Watkins, the Minnesota state champion, to win, after they beat Viroqua, our local host team, in a 3-2 thriller. Herb’s grandson won the game he pitched, and their team went undefeated in the tournament, defeating the Nevada state champion in the national championship game.

Life is full of surprises. 46 years ago we entered each other’s lives, and now 44 years after last seeing each other, we’ve reconnected. Now we’re even Facebook friends. Life never ceases to amaze me.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment