Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Teacher Who Made A Difference























Across the Fence #373

Corrine Zable made a difference in many lives. She’ll always be “Miss Fredrickson” to those of us who had her as a young, single teacher at Smith, our one room school, south of Westby. Corrine passed away on December 29, 2011. She died as a result of head injuries she received when she lost control of her bicycle just before Christmas. Her death brought sadness to her former students.

We’ve all had some good teachers and some “not so good” teachers. Once in a while we even encounter a great teacher. Corrine falls into that category. She inspired us, opened our minds, and created a fire in us to learn all that we could about life.

Corrine grew up on a farm west of Viroqua. In 2nd grade she recalled sitting at her desk and thinking: When I grow up I’m going to be a teacher; they know where the good books are and they always have plenty of paper to write on. She said she only had one teacher in grade school that gave her any encouragement. She vowed that she would encourage all her students if she could become a teacher. After high school she attended Vernon County Teacher’s College in Viroqua. We were her first students after graduating.

One of her teachers at the Teacher’s College, Naomi (Flugstad) Bekkum, had these thoughts about Corrine. “She was an outstanding student. She had a great desire to learn and to be a good teacher.”

Corrine was a faithful reader of “Across the Fence” and sent me many e-mails commenting on stories and telling me of her remembrances of teaching at Smith School. I’d like to share some of her observations on teaching and life with you. She said, “My years with all of you kids were a joy for me. I loved teaching and didn’t want you kids to miss anything just because there were over 20 of you, and because you were farm kids like I was.”

Corrine told me, “I always gained more from my students than I ever gave to any one of them. I’m proud to have been your teacher and to have shared life with all the Smith kids when I taught there! You kids were so very special; no wonder I loved teaching!!”

She also shared many observations about life. “All of life is precious, too precious to be wasted! The happiness of life depends so much on the quality of our thoughts!” She liked Ralph Waldo Emerson’s quote, “What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” “I used to tell my students that writing makes you explore and know what you really think about life and things. Thank you for your writings and making people think about things.”

Here’s what some of Corrine’s former students said about her:

David Sherpe: “She will always be ‘Miss Fredrickson.’ She was one of those teachers and people who have helped make a difference in many people’s lives. She was a great teacher and a wonderful person. She was even a good softball pitcher. Yes, sometimes she would even pitch during recess. I think it was to encourage everyone to play ball together and to get involved. Her concern for her students and everyone was genuine and sincere. She was part of our small community and our lives. If Smith School was still there, I think you could go there now and find her. Thank you Miss Fredrickson.”

Beverly (Jasperson) Kratt: “I talked with my sister, Donna, about Corrine. What we remember is that she was such a great teacher, cared so much about all of her students, and wanted them to succeed. She encouraged each of us and awarded each success. Within the last twenty years she had a home in Viroqua close to our grandmother. Donna and I met with her and so enjoyed our visit. How many teachers remember their students? We treasured our time with her and were so blessed to have had Corrine as a teacher in our educational process. I had always wanted to be a teacher – instead I worked within the university system – I feel her compassion and understanding assisted me with the relationships that I developed with peers and students. We lost a great educator.”

Sharon (Midtlien) Gilbeck said: "I stayed after school to do some things one day, and after everyone else was gone, she burst into tears… she was feeling so bad, because she couldn't get some students to learn what she was trying to teach them! That's my best memory… how she REALLY CARED about each and every student."

Joel Thompson: “Corrine was the most conscientious, helpful, inspiring, loving teacher I had in my life. She gave me something that has stayed with me for my whole life, “A Thirst For Knowledge.” I can still remember her helpful smile as she prodded each one of us to do better. I don’t remember her chastening anyone, but always had a loving attitude of help. I’m sure the Lord told her when she got to heaven, ‘Well done good and faithful servant’.”

Another quote that Corrine liked to put on the blackboard from time to time was by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: “Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime. And, departing, leave behind us footprints on the sands of time.”

Corrine certainly left behind many footprints. Now those footprints keep multiplying as her many students, from Smith School near Westby, Kohler, Taiwan, and Burma, continue to leave footprints where hers left off. Her death reminds me again how important the role of great teachers are in our lives. She will live on in each of us who were lucky enough to have been her students.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment