Sunday, September 9, 2012

Our Grandson's Journey Has Begun

Across the Fence #408


During the Labor Day weekend, our grandson, Sean, became the fifth generation of our family to spend time on this farm near Westby. His mother, Amy, visited her grandparents here, his grandfather, Howard (that’s me), grew up here and now lives on a small corner of the farm, his great grandparents, Hans and Anna Sherpe, lived here, and his great, great grandmother, Inga Sherpe lived here. 

While they were visiting, Amy sat and rocked Sean in the same old rocking chair that my Grandma Inga rocked me in. I suspect she also rocked my father in that same rocker when he was young. My mother and Linda rocked Erik and Amy in it when they were young. There’s a lot of history in that old rocker. It was made by the Wisconsin Chair Company in Port Washington, Wisconsin between 1888 and 1910. It has a lot of creaks and groans but it can still rock and roll. Not bad for being over 100 years old.

While they were here, Sean got to experience some good country air here in Sherpeland. I carried him outside and we walked along the cornfield. He was very attentive to the sound and motion of the corn leaves blowing in the wind. Walking along the edge of the grove of trees next to our house also kept his attention. His head was going back and forth like a booblehead doll, as he seemed mesmerized by all the flittering leaves. 

When he gets older we’ll take him on hikes around the back forty. Tim, Sweeney – our Grand dog, and I took a hike down by the pond behind our house. As we approached the brush and trees near the pond, two deer took flight with their white tails waving goodbye to us, as they bounded across the hay field before disappearing into the safety of the corn. I hope Sean will have the thrill of seeing a similar sight when he gets older.

I’m glad that Tim and Amy are already taking him on walks on the nature trails near their home. An appreciation of nature should be an important part of everyone’s education, especially now, when urban living provides less opportunity for many people to experience the natural world. We still have plenty of wild areas here in the Driftless Area to explore. I hope development doesn’t destroy the unspoiled beauty of this place so Sean will have the fun of exploring it as he grows older.

The Saturday after Labor Day, Sean will be three months old. Those first three months sure went fast. He’s experienced his first summer, although most of it was spent inside. It was the first of many firsts for him. Today, while older kids went back to school, he spent his first day in Day Care. Amy had to return to work after three months maternity leave and I’m sure it was a hard day for her as she experienced what all parents do as their child goes on to the next stage in their life. It’s hard, whether it’s the first day of Day Care, the first day of school, or leaving home for college. It’s not easy being a parent, but raising a child is one of the most important things you’ll ever do. 

As I looked at our little grandchild, saw his smile, watched his hands always moving and his feet kicking, and thought of how dependent he is now for everything, I hoped that I would be around to see him grow into an independent young man. I also wondered what kind of world we are going to leave for him. 
As I looked at him I wondered, ‘How could anyone harm or beat a child?’ You hear about it all the time on the news. I have no tolerance for that. I suspect alcohol or drugs are often involved when a child is harmed. 

Parenting is a big job and yet there are no schools where a person can go to study and come out four or five years later with a bachelor’s degree in parenting. You need a degree for most jobs these days, but any fool can become a parent. That’s a scary thought when you consider what an important job it is. 

When we watch how Amy cares for and interacts with Sean, we see someone who has already become a wonderful mother. I like to think she learned that from how her mother raised and treated her and Erik. Sean is in good hands. His whole life is before him and anything is possible. 

In a recent column I mentioned a classmate who said, “Don’t forget to take some time for what’s TRULY important.” My friend Tom in Madison wrote back and said, “So what is Truly important? I’d say it’s how a person values other people and other creatures.” Tom hit the nail on the head with that statement. 

Everything boils down to how we treat other people and all creatures around us. I hope our grandson can grow up with those words as the core of his values. If he does, he will be a success in life no matter what he does for a living.

Isn’t it interesting what thoughts go through your mind when holding a grandchild and wanting the best world possible for them? I wish him all the best on his journey through life.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment