Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The "Invisible Man" Visits My Memory

Across the Fence #314


The Bald Eagle returned today. It was sitting on the same branch in the tree next to the house where it always sits when he comes to visit. At the time I was reading a story in the newspaper about the start of wolf hunting. I thought it was ironic that a bird that had been on the endangered species list showed up in our yard as I was reading about wolves, that were also on the endangered species list, and will now be hunted for sport. I hope we never get to the point where we think we need to kill Bald Eagles too.

I wondered if the spirit of my friend, Dennis, had hitched a ride on the eagle and had come to talk with me about the wolves, that were near and dear to his heart. Yes, the “Invisible Man” had come back to talk with the “Lone Wolf,” the name I was given by Native American friends. It has been 11 years since Dennis died of cancer and I still miss him.  

When he called to tell me he’d been given six months to a year to live, I didn’t want to believe it. He wanted to talk with me as soon as he could. When I arrived he was not the big, strong bear of a man I knew. He looked tired and weak, having started his first round of Chemo and had been very sick. 

We sat and talked like we had done many times before at The Highground Veteran’s Memorial Park near Neillsville. He said he was cleaning house and wanted to give me some of his personal things. He wouldn’t need them any more and wanted to be sure they ended up with someone who would take care of them.

The first thing he gave me was a sword. He said I had shown through all the trials and tribulations that we’d been through, that I was a “Warrior for Peace,” so he wanted me to have his sword as a symbol of one who knew how to use it as a weapon of peace and not destruction.

The next thing he gave me was a large, wood carved figure of an Oriental Holy Man.

Then he brought out the leather pouch that I knew contained his Native American peace pipe that he had been given. He laid it on the table and pushed it toward me. “This is yours,” he said. “I want you to have it.” I couldn’t believe he wanted me to have his pipe that I knew had meant so much to him. I opened the pouch and laid all the items out on the table. It is not a fancy pipe, but it had a long history. Once at a gathering, where several pipes were brought out to take part in a ceremony, Dennis had his simple pipe among others that were much more ornate and fancy. The Elder of the tribe singled out the pipe that Dennis held and compared it to the Holy Grail cup in the Raiders of the Lost Arc movie. Everyone chose the fancy cups, but it was the simple cup that was the Holy Grail. He said the same is true of pipes. Some of the simplest pipes are those that have been passed down from generation to generation. They are rich in history and tradition. The pipe Dennis held was one of those pipes rich in history. Now he was passing it on to me. I questioned whether he was sure he wanted to do this. He admonished me to never question a gift. I still couldn’t believe it as I held the sacred pipe. I let him know I would treasure it.

We spent the better part of the day together and talked of many things, just as we always did. We covered subjects from birth to death, and if there is a world or existence beyond what we know. I enjoyed all the philosophical discussions we had, exploring the views of Joseph Campbell, the spiritual realm of life, the Native American ways, and the nature of man in general. There are very few people you can discuss these subjects with. They have always fascinated me and I was glad to find another who liked examining them. He was without doubt one of the most intellectual people I’ve ever met. 

I remembered the time he gave me a package. It contained a simple pair of army green socks and a letter. I understand the significance of that gift and the words so much more now, than I did at the time. I still have those socks and the letter. I read it again just now. Among other things, he said, “This gift is more than just a pair of military socks. These socks symbolize the comfort, relief, and joy that your support and acceptance has brought to me. I want you to know how much I value your friendship.” It was signed with the name he used during his service in the Vietnam War, and also with “Phantom 5 Leader, The Invisible Man.”

I’m reminded of the words that Kicking Bird said to John Dunbar near the end of the movie, Dances with Wolfs, as they were preparing to part and gave each other a pipe, “We have come far, you and I.” 

No other words were needed!

When he died I spread his ashes on The Highground as he had requested.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment