Monday, May 12, 2014

Our Heritage Is Important

Across the Fence #495

As we approach Syttende Mai (Seventeenth of May), I think it’s a good time to take a look back at our heritage, where we are now, and where we’re headed. My perspective is from a Norwegian/Scandinavian heritage, but it applies to all nationalities and making sure we don’t forget our roots and heritage.

Years ago I presented a program for the local VASA meeting in Madison. VASA is to the Swedes what the Sons of Norway is to Norwegians. Or as a Norwegian friend said, “We have the Sons of Norway, the Swedes have the Sons of B… well you get the picture!”  My grandmothers must have been rolling in their graves knowing I was associating with a room full of Swedes!

The reason I was at a Swedish meeting is that my Swedish friend, Lowell, called one evening and asked if I would do a program on woodcarving and genealogy. I decided to start my presentation with a couple of stories about my grandmothers and their feelings toward Swedes. Remember, when they left Norway to come to America, Norway was still under the control of Sweden and there was much ill will between the two countries. Norway didn’t get their independence from Sweden until 1905.

I told how my great grandmother, Lene Wang (Vang), had warned my grandmother, Julia, about things to watch out for on the trip to America. One thing she said was, “Don’t go near the Swedes, because they all have lice!” I imagine every Swedish mother told their children to stay away from the Norwegians for the same reason.

Julia (Wang) Hanson

Another story concerned my cousin, Sandy, who had been more like an older sister to me. When she got engaged, she brought her fiancé, Lou, to the farm to meet my folks and Grandma Inga. After they had visited for a while in the house, my father took Lou outside to show him the barn. That gave Sandy a chance to ask Grandma Inga what she thought of Lou. Norwegian heritage was important to Grandma and she asked, “Is he Norwegian?” 

“No,” Sandy said, “He’s German.” 

Grandma thought for a few moments and then said, “Well, at least he’s not a Swede!”

Inga (Ostrem) Sherpe

Thank Heavens, everyone laughed when I told those stories. Then I told about Lowell’s son-in-law, Sven Olaf, who comes from Sweden.  When asked if they tell Norwegian jokes in Sweden too, he replied with a straight face, “Yes we do, but they’re not jokes!”

It’s a good thing we can now joke and laugh about what was once no laughing matter to our grandparents. I can better understand the feelings they had toward Swedes because I know the history of Norway and that it was ruled by Sweden at the time they left. 

When I speak to groups, I’m amazed at how little some people know about the history and ancestry of their roots. Even among people who belong to organizations such as Sons of Norway and VASA, where they are interested in their family heritage.

Another thing I notice is that the vast majority of members of these organizations are from the older generations. There are very few young people, meaning below the age of fifty. Does this mean the younger generations have no interest in their roots, in the history of their families? Or is it that they are just too busy trying to earn a living and make ends meet? I hope that’s it, and that someday they’ll want to know more about where they came from. It will give them an appreciation of who their ancestors were. I think we need a sense of history and roots to know where we want to go in the future. That’s why it’s important that we continue to celebrate Syttende Mai in this country. It gives us a sense of our roots and heritage!

I know this is true in my life. The study of Norwegian history, the folk arts, and woodcarving of my ancestors, has given me an appreciation of their art and a desire to carry on the folk arts of Norway. This has had a virtual life changing affect on me. I look to the future with an appreciation of the past. 

We may live in a technological world, but we can’t hold a candle to the artistic ability and creativity of our ancient ancestors. What they accomplished with the tools and materials available to them at the time is incredible. One need only look at those who built and decorated the Norwegian Stave Churches during the Middle Ages. Man, fire, and neglect has destroyed most of those churches. However, twenty-nine still stand in all their glory after 900 or more years, while buildings in this country fall or are destroyed after as little as a hundred years, and most, much sooner than that. 

We seem to have little appreciation for the character and history in old things. We live in an era of MTV, instant gratification, fast food, and a throw-away mentality. Is it any wonder we destroy the old in favor of the new.

My hope during this anniversary of Norwegian independence, is that we take time to reflect on our heritage and history. Regardless of who we are; 100% Norwegian, Norwegian by marriage, a Norwegian wanna-be, a German, or even a Swede, your roots are important!  I guess that’s why I stand in the present, with one foot in the past and one in the future.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment