Friday, November 6, 2015

Veteran's Day-My Band of Brothers

Across the Fence #573


I’d like to recognize some veteran friends of mine this Veteran’s Day. We are truly a Band of Brothers. They’ve been here for me in various ways since they found out I have brain cancer.
Vernon County boys Leaving La Crosse airport  in June 1966 for Ft. Lewis, Washington, and then on to Vietnam. L-R: Ray Slaback, Howard Sherpe, Harlan Springborn, and Larry Skolos.

First of all, I’d like to recognize a bunch of friends that I served with. We were drafted at the same time in December 1965 and went through basic training together. After our advanced individual training we all came back together in the same unit with the 4th Infantry Division. We went To Vietnam on the same troop ship and ashore in the same landing craft. We were on many operations and ambush patrols together. In November 1966, we all survived the largest mortar attack of the war, up until that point, at our forward firebase. We fought to protect each other during the ground attacks that followed. Those kinds of experiences forge friendships that will last a lifetime.

Reunion at Veterans Day program at Westby H. S.  in 2010. L-R: Don Hanson, Howard Sherpe, Ray Slayback, Larry Skolos, and Harlan Springborn.

When they found out I had cancer, word quickly spread among the network of old 4th Division vet friends. They began calling to see if there was anything they could do for me.

Harlan Springborn from Westby showed up at the hospital the day of my brain surgery. He sat with Linda in the waiting room from 8:00 am until I was brought back to my room at 4:30 pm. He told Linda he wasn’t leaving until he saw the whites of my eyes! He’s visited me many times to see how I’m doing and even brings baked goods.

Larry Skolos from Viroqua is also in this 4th Division Brotherhood. He and his wife, Cathy, have visited and brought strawberries that they grow on their farm. She also brought bars she had made.

Ray Slayback called from Monroe. He lived in Readstown in Vernon County when we were drafted.
                                             Ray Slayback on a road clearing operation.

Don Hanson, who now lives in De Pere,Wisconsin, has called and e-mailed. Don is also fighting cancer and undergoing chemo treatments.

Howard Sherpe- left, Don Hanson-standing next to Howard- ready to leave on an ambush patrol.
The two men kneeling are gone.

Ken “Big Lee,” lives in California. He calls and e-mails. We spent a lot of time together on operations. Below, Ken "Big Lee" manning the M-50 on a road security operation. I rode shotgun behind him, watching his back.

Elmer Wischmeier from Sedalia, Missouri, calls and writes.

Harlan Springborn and Elmer Wischmeier


Harlan Springborn-sitting, and Elmer Wischmeier- in front, on an ambush  patrol.

That’s our band of 4th Division Brothers who spent some intense times together in Vietnam. They are still there, wanting to do whatever they can to help me. 

David Sherpe with his M-60 machine gun.


David Sherpe -2015.

I’ve got to thank my brother, David for coming from Cross Plains almost every week to mow our lawn and take me to clinic appointments. David was with the 9th Infantry in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. When David couldn’t come, my other brother, Arden, mowed it.  My sister, Janet, was also there to help wherever needed. I thank them all. I couldn’t ask for any better brothers and sister. 

There are other veterans I want to recognize, who weren’t in our 4th Division Brotherhood.  I met them later and we became good friends. 

Lou Wagner

Also, Lou Wagner, my cousin-in-law from Colorado, stopped to visit on his trip to Kansas to see his kids and grandkids. Lou was with the 1st Cav in Vietnam.


Bob McCurdy from Door County was with the Riverine Forces in Vietnam. Bob and I have become good friends over the years. We share a love for wood craving and writing. Bob carved a bird and sent me. It's to watch over  and protect me as I battle this cancer. Bob has become a special friend and Vietnam brother.

                                                 Bob McCurdy and his buddies.
John Cotter
John Cotter, from Middleton, who was with the 9th Infantry, has become a friend and has sent me messages and story ideas. 


                                    
Tom Olson from Viroqua was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Like so many of us who ended up in the Vietnam vet Brotherhood, John was a Wisconsin farm boy too. Tom has had his own health problems lately. 
Above: Tom Olson flying his helicopter in Vietnam.



Tom Olson-at a reunion- in a helicopter he flew in Vietnam.






My veteran friends from the Madison area have been great.
Tom Deits
There’s Tom Deits who was with the 1st Infantry. Tom talked me into joining a vet’s writing group he had organized. He knew I liked to write. That group became known as The Deadly Writer’s Patrol. Tom has become a close friend, who has visited me and sent many cards letting me know he’s thinking of me.
                                                           Tom Deits


Steve Piotrowsi
Steve Piotrowski
Steve Piotrowski, who was with the 173rd Airborne in the Central Highlands, was also a member of the Deadly Writer’s Patrol. Steve and I were on the Highground Veteran’s Memorial Park board at Neillsville, Wisconsin for many years. 

Ted Fetting from Milwaukee, who served with the 9th Infantry, was also on the Highground board. 
Ted Fetting by helicopter at the Highground
    


David Giffey

David Giffey, from Arena, Wisconsin was with the 1st Infantry. David was also involved with The Highground and designed the peace dove effigy mound. The four of us spent many trips together from Madison to Neillsville and had many deep discussions about life and war. We served in different units in different parts of the country, but we had the shared experiences of operating with infantry units, and we were all Wisconsin farm boys. Even though we didn’t serve together in Vietnam, we are part of that Vietnam vet Brotherhood and have a close friendship. They’ve been there for me with messages, visits, and wondering what they can do for me. I tell them, “Your friendship is all I need.” When I was going through radiation and chemo treatments every day, I received a “Warrior Bracelet” from Steve. He made it with colored beads to represent the Vietnam service ribbon, and then attached items that represented my Vietnam service. There was a 4th Infantry Division logo, a combat medic badge, and a peace symbol. The clasps were shaped like the prows of a Viking ship, to represent my Viking warrior ancestry. Steve said I should wear it as I fought this new enemy I found myself up against.

That’s quite a group of Vietnam vet brothers. This Veteran’s Day, I wanted to recognize them and thank them for their friendship. 

I hope everyone will take time to reach out to veterans you know and thank them for their service.
*

1 comment:

  1. Dave sherpe this is chuck Wilber C 3/47 9th Div 68/69 hope you are doing well. I have a bout with cancer but hang,n in there. I was the guy rite behind you when you got hit with the booby trap. In the But. 48chump@gmail.com or sheryll@ejourney.com be good to talk to you

    ReplyDelete