Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Celebrating My Irish Roots

Across the Fence #538

Linda and I had our first “real” date 50 years ago on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, 1965. Perhaps I should explain why I say it was a real date. We were both going to school at MATC in Madison. She was in the Dental Assisting program and I was in the Commercial Art program. 

She lived in an apartment building where she shared an apartment with three of her friends from Platteville who were also MATC students. I lived alone in a tiny room on the third floor of an old house on Gorham Street where twelve or more students lived. The owners occupied the first floor and kept a watchful eye on the comings and goings in the house. No females were allowed beyond the first floor hallway. A guy from Fennimore, who became a life-long friend, lived on the second floor, and was going with one of Linda’s roommates. We all knew each other from school activities and hung out together. I had even taken out one of Linda’s roommates a couple of times and I was trying to fix Linda up with a guy who lived in the room next to me. Rather complicated, isn’t it?

The Saturday night before St. Patrick’s Day, all of us were at a State Street “watering hole” where many of the students hung out. My friend and Linda’s friend, who were going together, were having an argument that night. Linda and I started talking while they were arguing. We talked for a long time. When it was time to leave, I asked if I could walk her home. On the way, I asked if I could take her to the St. Patrick’s Day dance at Turner Hall. Many of our friends were going. She said “yes” and we’ve been together ever since. I should mention that our friends, who were arguing, are still together after 50 years too. That St. Patrick’s Day dance was our first “real” date. We probably had a bit of green beer that evening too. 

So St. Patrick’s Day, and especially this year, has a special significance to us. I’ll rummage through the dark corners of our closet in search of something green to wear. I’ll probably have to resort to my Green Bay Packer sweatshirt. We’ll have some corn beef and cabbage, but I don’t think we’ll be drinking any green beer. We gave that up a long time ago.

You can see why we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but you may be wondering, “How can Howard be celebrating his Irish roots, when all his grandparents came from Norway?” Perhaps a little history lesson is in order here.



As you know, the Vikings did a lot of exploring. My ancestors back in the Viking Age, used to go on “tours” to Ireland. I doubt if the Irish looked too kindly on the Norwegian “tour groups” who visited their country. My ancestors have been portrayed as fierce, bloodthirsty invaders who plundered and pillaged other countries. I prefer to call them tourists with an attitude.

Back in the 700’s A.D., Vikings from Norway were visiting the coasts of many countries, including England, Scotland, and Ireland. The first tour group arrived in Ireland in 795. In 841 Vikings built a fortified enclosure in Ireland to protect their ships and to act as a raiding base. This Viking settlement would become known as Dublin, the first true town in Ireland.

By the early 900’s, the Vikings were well established in settlements at Wexford, Waterford, and Limerick. They also raided (I mean toured) deep inland on rivers and shallow waterways with their sleek Viking ships.

By the 1100’s the Irish-Norse were beginning to lose their Viking identity through conversion to Christianity, intermarriage with the Irish, and adoption of the Gaelic language. The Irish called these Vikings the “Ostmen” (men of the east) to distinguish them from the Scandinavian Vikings who were still making occasional “tours” to Ireland.

As you might imagine, many Irish men and women have a lot of Norwegian blood in their ancestry, just as many Norwegians have Irish blood. My ancestors weren’t the only ones who returned to Norway with an Irish mistress. Now lest you start to wag a righteous finger at me, and my ancestry, let’s not forget that life was very different 900 years ago. Warrior life was the norm and bringing home the spoils of war, including material goods, slaves, and mistresses was accepted. Today people still bring souvenirs back from their trips to foreign lands, but we have more restrictions on what we can bring back through customs. The Vikings didn’t worry about someone checking their luggage, except maybe their wife, who had been busy running the farm while they were off having fun fighting and touring other countries! 

When I did my DNA test last year, I found out I’m 5.2% Irish and British. Linda is 34% Irish. Her mother’s ancestors came from Ireland, but I always told her if we could trace her family back far enough, we’d find some Norskies in her family tree too. Her DNA says she’s 4% Scandinavian. Maybe we’re related!

So there you have it, I’ve let my Irish roots out of the closet. Now it’s almost time to celebrate. Happy St. Pat’s Day everyone! 


*

No comments:

Post a Comment