Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Three Snows On A Robin's Tail

Across the Fence #541

The Old Farmers says, “Spring will finally arrive after three snows on a robin’s tail.” I saw my first robin of the year last week. Along with temperatures in the 60s at the time, it gave me hope that spring was here. I should know better than to get too excited in March. I’ve lived in Wisconsin long enough to know that April snow showers often replace April showers.

Robin sightings and 60’s were last week. Today I’d have to dig through seven or more inches of snow to find a robin. I think we can safely count this snowfall as one snow on a robin’s tail. Only two more snows to go. I don’t think all those robins I saw last week are very happy with winter making a return engagement. Could we blame them if they up and fly south again? 

It’s been a busy week around our place with all the birds coming and going. The redwing blackbirds, grackles, and starlings all returned last week too. Large flocks have been occupying our lawn. They didn’t seem too happy this morning either, as they sat in the snow under our feeders and scratched in the snow trying to find the birdseed buried under drifts of new, white stuff. 

I also heard and saw many killdeers during my morning walks last week. I think all the migratory birds are wishing they’d spent a couple extra weeks down south. The arrival of all these migrating birds is a sign that spring is coming even if we can’t see or feel it. We just need a couple more snows on a poor robin’s tail. We’ll keep count and see if the Old Farmer is right.

There’s been no lack of feathered activity in Sherpeland. I spotted a bald eagle feasting on something in the field behind our house yesterday. A large crow was standing about three feet away and appeared to be rather irritated with the eagle. Three other crows circled overhead. I didn’t see what happened before I noticed them, but I suspect the eagle was an uninvited guest at the crow’s feast. The brave crow could only watch while the eagle dined alone. After several minutes the eagle lifted its great wings and flew off to the west. The crows then returned to see if any of their meal was left. They soon headed for our back yard feeders to see if there was anything to eat.

All the crow can do is watch and wait.

This is the time of year when activity around the bird feeders begins to change. The chickadees and white-breasted nuthatches have all but disappeared. Sparrows and a few juncos are still busy. Cardinals, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, northern flickers, and mourning doves have been our guests all winter. I love to hear the sound of the mourning doves as they talk to each other in the seclusion of the trees and brush. I hope everyone has had the pleasure of hearing the whistle made by their wings as they take flight. One day I counted 24 mourning doves dining on the ground under our feeders.

Mourning Doves visit us all year round.

This morning the birds couldn’t get at the seeds under all the snow until I was able to clear it away. I then spread fresh seed on the ground. Birds attacked the area like they hadn’t eaten in weeks. Flocks of grackles soon took over the area, strutting about in their shimmering coats of black, with purplish-blue iridescent heads and necks. They acted like they were royalty and owned the place. Sprinkled among the grackles were redwing blackbirds. The red and yellow patch on their wings made them stand out in a sea of black. There were also a few starlings among the invading army of birds. Many people lump the grackles and starlings together and refer to them all as starlings, but there are striking differences between the two. Starlings have a yellow bill, while grackles have a black bill. Starlings have an overall speckled appearance and a shorter tail. All three “black-colored” birds seem to travel together in large flocks when they migrate. Our yard seems to be a favorite stopover on their travel itinerary each spring and fall. They eat everything in sight. I think I should be allowed to claim them as dependents on my tax return each year. 

Spring migration. Notice all the birds on the lawn.

I almost forgot to mention the pair of ring-necked pheasants I’ve seen and heard many times, usually early in the morning. Red-tailed hawks also like to circle lazily over the field behind our house. They appear suspended on a column of invisible air as they slowly rise and fall so effortlessly as they search for mice and voles in the fields. When they perch in the large tree along the fence line, the woods suddenly become quiet as all the birds seek shelter. They don’t want to become a happy meal for a hungry hawk.

Winter giving way to spring is a transition time for our feathered friends. Our yard becomes like an airline terminal with new arrivals and departures each day. It’s a fun time to observe the comings and goings. Last week when the weather was still mild, I heard the wonderful sound of geese heading north. That’s a sure sign that spring can’t be far behind. Now we just need those two more snowfalls on a robin’s tail and we’re almost there.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment